Saturday, February 14, 2009

813. Last night's train home smelled like an old shoe.

I opened my email this morning to discover that I had received my first meme tag through Facebook. At first I was shocked that included within the rules of this particular meme was the stipulation to tag 25 people.

For blog tags, the number of people you are requested to tag usually hoovers* around 5.

Do these numbers reveal a statistic? For every 25 members of Facebook, there are 5 people who have a blog?

No matter.

I have below my response to the Facebook meme.
Memes and tagging seemed to have fallen out of fashion since I started my blog over 4 years ago (!), at least in my blog circle...where I have become somewhat absent. I'll write about this and its reasons another time. It has to do with this strange phase of my life, and nothing to do with my affection for the blogs I once followed nor the writers who own them.

I have below the meme in its entirety, including the rules.
-------------

25 Random Things about Me

If you already did this, my apologizes! Just add me to your existing note so that I can read about you. :)

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

(To do this, go to "notes" under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)

1. This is the first Facebook meme tag I've ever received. When people tag you through blogs (2. I have a blog), the max people you have to tag is five. 25 vs. 5. I've stumbled upon a new ratio! For every 25 people who are on Facebook, 5 people have a blog. I think I'll go now to write about this in my blog!

3. According to my Facebook Wall archive, I joined Facebook on Sept. 6, 2006--thanks to Jessica who is from Madison, WI, and now lives in CA. (Hi, Jessica!)

4. I did an on-line quiz last week. One question was, "How tidy are you? Is your sock drawer ready for inspection?" I was disappointed that "Which sock drawer?" wasn't a response, since (5.) all of my drawers can also be classified as sock drawers (as well as pant drawers and shirt drawers).

6. All my clothes (that actually made it to the drawers) are folded!

7. Every morning I have a brioche cioccolato (a chocolate pastry) and a cappuccino. This is only a slight modification from my morning treat (8.) back home where I would have a quasi-daily morning treat of a Peet's latte and pastry. (Sweets and a sugary-milky-coffee drink shouldn't be classified as "breakfast", but I do love that the Italians think so.)

9. I work in Milan.

10. I commute by train every day. (approx. a 1 1/2 hr commute each way)

11. The romance I once had with train rides is officially on the rocks. (The romance I never had with sock drawers is also on the rocks.)

12. I don't own a car.

13. I'm not particularly interested in owning one since here in Italy it is definitely more trouble than it's worth. First, there is the high cost of fees, taxes, and gas; (14.) I live in the center where parking would be near impossible. Besides, the Italians are CRAZY drivers.

14. I just finished reading Obama's Audacity of Hope and (15.) am currently reading his Dreams from my Father in English. On my train rides, 16. I'm slowly reading Erma Bombeck's Se la vita è un piatto di ciliegi, perché a me solo i noccioli? (If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?).

17. Goal: I will become a published author within 5 years. (Or sooner, 18. since a children's book I'm doing with a friend is in the works! I've written it, and it just needs to be edited, and Kate is getting started on the illustrations. Woo-hoo!)

19. Goal: I will return to design--20. I was a self-employed designer for 12 years before moving to Italy--within 2 years.

21. I have a profile up on a singles dating site. (That was difficult to admit publicly!)

22. Habits: I floss at least 3 times a week. 23. I started gargling again with a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide for whiter teeth. It's cheap (about €1.50 a bottle/ 60¢ back home) and it really works!

24. I'm the oldest of three children in my family, but all of my exes have been the youngest son. I think that's strange!

25. I want an iPhone!
...I just remembered something: When I lived in Siena I politely as possible refused an overly generous gift of an iPhone from a man on our second date (and as it turns out, it was also our last). I did the right thing, I know, but sometimes I feel a hint of regret. I turned down an iPhone! *sigh*

-------
* That is to say, "hovers". "Hoovers" is funny (to me); it's staying.

2 comments:

Ken Houghton said...

Good on ya for doing it.

See Patrick's response for an example of the meme can be turned on its side.

Mona said...

i can't wait to read the children's book! i can imagine your writing + kate's animation = pure genius! i will buy a copy for all of my pregnant friends.