On Sunday, I went to Rome with my student for her interview with an Italian airline. Part of the interview was to be conducted in English and we have been preparing for this for the past month.
Unfortunately, she did not get the job. Although I was hopeful, I had a feeling this would be the outcome considering that this was her very first interview ever, and her English is only at the lower intermediate level.
The company has another round of interviews in a couple of months, and certainly she'll be better prepared for that when the time comes.
The two days spent in Rome were consumed with her and her interview, so I didn't get an opportunity to explore Rome like I'd hoped. However, this trip was not without its amusements!
Case in point:

?!?!
On Monday, while I was still in Rome, my sister called to inform me that I needed to come back to Brescia ASAP. Little did we know that I have to be living with her in order to qualify for my green card. A surprise visit from an inspector tipped her off to this little caveat.
So I left Rome that Monday afternoon and returned to Siena for clean clothes, money, and some sleep. Early the next morning I was on a train to Brescia.
I spent a busy two days there. My presence satisfied the inspector and now I'm just waiting for notification from the Questura. They'll need my fingerprints next month, and hopefully within a few months I'll have my permesso di soggiorno (the official permission-to-stay or green card).
So I left Rome that Monday afternoon and returned to Siena for clean clothes, money, and some sleep. Early the next morning I was on a train to Brescia.
I spent a busy two days there. My presence satisfied the inspector and now I'm just waiting for notification from the Questura. They'll need my fingerprints next month, and hopefully within a few months I'll have my permesso di soggiorno (the official permission-to-stay or green card).
The two days in Brescia were filled with friends, family, and general milling about. I look forward to my return next month.
Do you know what's better than coffee? A corrected coffee, of course! The coffee in Italy, as you may know, is our espresso. It's strong and short. A corrected coffee (il caffè corretto) is an espresso with a shot of liquor. A half-hour layover in Empoli while I waited for the connecting train to Siena proved to be the perfect moment for il caffè corretto-- I was physically exhausted from all the travel thus far (that demanded caffeine) and emotionally drained about everything else (you know, one of those "I need a drink!" moments).
Now I feel like having an il caffè perfetto. Surely, I don't need to tell you that if indeed this coffee actually existed, it would contain liquor and chocolate. Certo. **
------
* Life is strange and beautiful; it is what it is.
** Of course.

No comments:
Post a Comment