Monday, June 04, 2007

688. I go from day to day.

What have I been up to since my last post? Let's see...

I discovered another wonderful English bookstore. It's called The Abbey Bookshop in Paris. Owner operated, small, and teeming with books...in other words: It's heaven. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, the owner offered me a cup of coffee. In addition... I was asked if there was something in particular I was looking for. Was there!

P5310001.jpg
Abbey Bookshop. From their website: "Upon entering the bookshop you receive a warm welcoming smile and are invited to have a cup of coffee or tea sweetened with maple syrup while you browse at your leisure."

I finally have a copy of Atlas Shrugged*. And, wouldn't you know it? The very next day I received a package in the mail from R. It was Atlas Shrugged. He bought and sent me the book. What thoughtful and kind friends I have. Thanks, R!

Hopefully I can exchange the copy I bought for another I've had my eye on.

P5310003.jpg

Shops stuffed with second hand (and/or new) books give me a thrill like none other. Maybe I should reconsider my decision to become a teacher. Perhaps I belong in a bookshop or library?

Saturday evening was the big night I've waited 2 years for... Tori Amos in concert! The last time I saw her in concert was back in 1995 for her Boys for Pele tour. I thought she was great in concert 12 years ago. On Saturday, she was amazing. Just like in 1995, she straddled a bench while she simultaneously played two pianos: an electronic keyword and, I believe, her beloved Bösendorfer. (I've read rumors that she brings her piano with her when she's on tour.) Her new album American Doll Posse features her singing through 4 different characters or alter-egos --Isabel, Santa, Clyde, Pip. (If you are interested and want a more thorough explanation, her website is here. Be warned though, in case we share the same pet peeve: the site plays music. Not surprising given that it's a musician's site, but I would prefer to control the music myself and not have it blare at me immediately after I click over and enter the site.) Tori Amos is an extremely artistic and creative person, but like charm, these qualities alone aren't responsible for the success and large cult following Tori has enjoyed for the past couple decades. It's the excellence in the execution of her creative genius that I admire.


Last Thursday, I was invited to Chicha Café, a very nice middle-eastern eating and meeting place in the chic Marais district of Paris. The group of friends I was with often come here to smoke hooka. What's a hooka, you ask?

Voilà, a hooka:
P5310001.jpg

Surprisingly, my asthma wasn't triggered when I smoked from this exotic contraption. My guess is that the water content of the smoke helped. It was a smooth and fun social experience. Plus they served the best mint tea I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. I was taught the "proper" way to pour the middle-eastern cup of yum. It involves a long up and down and one last up motion of the arm as the tea pours from the spout into a brightly colored hand painted glass:

P6010008.jpg

I'll be back in Italy on Friday for a few days. I look forward to reuniting with my Italian friends and family.


....................
*I actually have a copy back home, which I've read, but I needed a copy for an essay I'm writing. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Sleep Goblin said...

I've seen her in concert twice. She does indeed bring along her piano on tour, though I'm not entirely sure that holds true overseas. Actually, I just remembered she lives in Europe, so nevermind. I'm sure that was hers. There's nothing sexier than Tori playing the piano...