Butts are the unsung hero of our time. Where would humanity be without its collective butts? Would we have ever survived the critical evolutionary stages like Homo habilis, Homo erectus, and Homo neanderthalensis without our butts? No, it is very doubtful indeed. For what else could we have rested on in between--alas, in the midst of!--these long and challenging stages of evolutionary growth?
Butts are called many names, and their name is largely dependent upon the personality of the speaker. Tush say the shy. Bottom, the polite. Derrière say the worldly. Ass, declare the crude or Eddie Murphy. For the intellectual, it's gluteus maximus. For the silly and irrelevant among us, butt suffices nicely.
Butts have brought us to where we sit today, and finally they are getting the recognition they have long deserved. A world-class museum, the Louvre Museum of Paris, offers an impressive collection of butts. I had the honor placed upon me, by myself, to document and present to you just a small sample of the butts that grace the Louvre.
Voilà:

La Renommée by Pierre Biard.

Ouch! A fit butt being bitten. Milon de Crotone by Pierre Puget.

It's a fun butt. (See the wisp of hair?) It's a faun's butt. Faune au Chevreau by Pierre Lepautre.

Two butts engaged in a fight! Les Lutteurs (The Fighters) by Philippe Magnier.

A proud and protected butt. Orphée charmant les animaux (Orphée charming the animals--obviously with his proud butt. I know I was charmed!) by Pierre Francqueville.
Of course, there were plenty of female and children's butts on display. Please forgive the author/photographer for neglecting the butts of these demographics. (She only documented one from each, shown below.) The oversight wasn't noticed until the writing of this post. Admittedly, she prefers the adult male's tush.

The bottom of a female. Amphitrite by Jacques Prou.

The saggy butt of an infant. Presumably the infant of Persée et Andromède by Pierre Puget.
A lesser museum would stop at human butts. However, the Louvre is not a lesser museum. It is a world-class museum, and it offers more than just human (and human hybrid) butts for us to appreciate and admire. Also on display are the other butts that share our planet: mammal butts.

A lion's share and a lion's butt. Milon de Crotone by Pierre Puget. (The same lion as above.)

A horse's butt. Les Chevaux de Marly by Guillaume Coustou.
4 comments:
If your name is Pierre there seems to be an increased likelihood of carving butts for a living.
Hi Janelle--I am in love with your travelogue. I was in Paris a few years ago and your pictures bring back great memories. I loved it there. Well, I'm coming out of lurkdome to "tag" you...one of those blog spam things. See my blog (Leisure Pursuit) for more details. I'm sorry to do this to you....as if you have nothing better to do while in France!
Will you please have a crepe with Nutella for me while you're there? Yummmmm....
TH: Great observation! (Not that I expect anything less from you...)
Valerie: Hello, there! I'm feeling generous: I'll have 2 crepes with Nutella for you. :) Thank you for tagging me. Glad that you are enjoying my blog.
These are all nice picture all picture is very emblishing take this my comments good luck.
Post a Comment