Thursday, December 07, 2006

579. Good morning, Sports Racers!

I offered a Running Fool a ride from Ashland, Oregon to the Bay Area. He took me up on the offer. All I know is that he is being dropped off sometime around 3 pm, somewhere in Ashland.

Tomorrow!

Running Fool--or anybody who knows anything--please contact me. I have no idea where to meet you.

------
I started The Thin Red Line last night and finished it this morning. What a fantastic movie.

If you google the movie, the Fox Movie link--the third one on the search page--calls The Thin Red Line the 'next Private Ryan.'

I never feel inclined to watch a movie because they claim it is similar to another. I don't want to see a copy cat movie. I don't want to see a movie that's trying to top another. Good movies stand on their own. When they claim a new movie is similar-- or "the next"--to a movie I like, one, I doubt that the new movie is any good. Two, if I enjoy a movie and want to relive the experience, I'll just rent it. Pitch me a movie that's original (like The Thin Red Line was!) and good--not one that is like another.

Saving Private Ryan was a very good movie. I liked it. But, I loved The Thin Red Line. What a shame that it was marketed on the shirt tails of another movie.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Ouuu! It was good? I've been meaning to see The Thin Red Line for a LONG time and haven't gotten around to it. Terrence Malick is a great filmmaker.

Cool fact about that movie: Adrian Brody had a major role in the movie but in the end was completely edited out except for a couple of different scenes.

Unknown said...

It was excellent, Kevin.

Poor Adrian. I wonder why they edited him out. Maybe he was too cute.