Wednesday, June 14, 2006

392. May you have zombie grass and dandelion dreams.

Sometimes leaving a comment on a fellow blogger's blog is Hard Work. There's the spelling to deal with. "Punctuation." Goodest grammar: To end a sentence with a prepositional phrase or not to end a sentence with a prepositional phrase? Ay, that's a rub. (William Strunk Jr., E.B. White, and Roger Angell's most excellent compact writing guide, The Elements of Style, says ending a sentence with a prepositional phrase is fine if the alternative sounds like you're trying too hard.)

Do I even have to mention the Hard Work involved when you want to write a comment, but nothing's coming to mind? On days like that, I usually don't bother. But, if I've had a comment dry spell, I'll put extra effort into thinking of something to say. I'm a firm believer in this physiology law: Use it or lose it. If I don't flex my comment muscle, it'll wither away, and perhaps, die. Like Mike's lawn.

Poor Mike has been fighting a long war with his lawn. The last battle resulted in an apology letter posted to his blog. Poor Mike! My heart went out to him and I wrote something quite bizarre, but a winner comment nonetheless:

"May you have zombie grass!"

That doesn't sound very nice, does it?

In my defense, I meant to write, "Maybe you have zombie grass?" Maybe Mike's actions (or inactions) aren't completely to blame for his lawn failure. Zombie grass is evil like that. It makes you think it is one of the living, but it's not really. Stupid zombies.

Maybe my original comment was a zombie, too. The "maybe" was a zombie limb that finally rotted down to half, and the question mark mutated into an exclamation mark. Stranger things have happened.

5 comments:

TheTart said...

Hey check out Mike's post regarding Daisy's food/gas issue ... Rrramone left a lengthy comment. What's interesting is Mike's response vs the note from Rrramone, natch!

BTW, many thanks for the popcorn tips! I am having a bowl a day ... after I require hot tea? Must be all that salt!

Smooch,
The Tart

BTW, I working hard to get unemployed Rrramone on a plane & out your way for a bloggy visit! ; )

tinyhands said...

I can't think of a good comment.

Anonymous said...

cool only a genius could work off a bad lawn and make it into a literary experience.

Mike said...

All I know is that I finally understand why I always hear a chorus of soft voices moaning "Brains!" each time I step into the backyard.

Unknown said...

Jocelyn: I think I'll pass reading Rrramone and Mike's gas exchange. Yuck! :)

I think your talk is paying off. Thank you! We've been in communication about his trip. Fun!

TinyHands: That's OK. I can't either.

Nancy: Oh stop! :)

Mike: Glad to be of help.