Monday, June 05, 2006

379. Copps? Kopp's? Who cares? I found what I was looking for...

... cheese curds!

My friend Lisa is from Milwaukee. She sent me off on my recent trip to WI with a short list of things to try and see. Top of the list were Kopp's Custard and Kopp's Cheeseburgers.

On Friday, I did a little Frank Lloyd Wright tour. I visited the Unitarian Meeting House...

unitarian meeting house

... and the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center.

IMG_5669.JPG
Okay, I suck. I didn't get a good pic of the Terrace, but here is a view of the Capitol building from the Terrace.


I spent a good deal of time being lost in Madison that day by taking Wrong turns trying to find Wright's 1st Jacobs House.

As fate would have it, I found Copps. I must've spelled Copps wrong, I thought. What are the odds that there would be two food related establishments in Wisconsin called Copps and Kopp's?

IMG_5575
Copps, a Madison grocery store

Well, the man stocking the dairy section made me feel quite foolish.

"Excuse me. I'm looking for Copp's Custard."

**bewildered look on man's face**

"Or your cheeseburgers?"

**bewildered look on man's face**

"Copp's?"

"I'm not sure what you're asking for, ma'am."

"I'm from California, and my friend told me that I had to try Copp's Custard and Copp's Cheeseburgers."

"You're going have to help me out here. I don't know what you're talking about."

*laughing* "No, I'm from California! You need to help me out!"

*laughing* "Alright, then, I'll try."

He leads me to the dessert aisle. "Here are the custards we carry. As for the cheeseburgers, well, we sell ground beef."

"I certainly appreciate your help. Do you have cheese curds?"

"That, I can help you with!"

"Yay!"

I bought the cheese curds with a Bucky the Badger mascot. I tried them as soon as I got out to the car, right after I took this picture:

IMG_5573
No Squeak. What do badgers know about cheese curds?

Cheese curds taste like salty cheese. I wasn't sure what the big deal was.

Moral Turpitude enlightened me the next day at the Farmer's Market. It's the squeak that makes them special. It's like your teeth are getting a good cleaning while you are eating them. It's a lot of fun! Plus, they are delicious.

If there is no squeak, they aren't fresh. You might as well buy Velveeta, I say. (Check out the link!)

brunkow
Leave cheese curds to the experts--cows not badgers.

IMG_5827.JPG
Harvesting cheese curds?*

On another note...

Moral, Goblin, and I visited Peck's petting zoo after our trip to Taliesin. I am worried about their ducks.

peck's
I think these ducks need a visit from a vet.

------------
Did you know that you can order Kopp's Custard on-line. $75 for 10 pints. Much to my disappointment, it costs $73 to ship to California! I'll have to start a special fund or just take a special trip to Milwaukee.

*Contest! Tell me where I took this picture, and I'll write my next 55 in honor of you.

** I'm not feeling well. I had a meeting with 2 different people at 2 different times in 2 different locations today. Both told me they were sick AFTER the meetings, AFTER I shook their hands and AFTER I stood in close proximity to them going over designs. Maybe it's a coincidence that I am getting sick now, after all, it's too soon, right? What's with sick people not staying home, and not warning healthy people of their condition? I'm going home now. I feel yuck. I want some cheese curds. Or sympathy. Or something... augh.

6 comments:

Tonya said...

Every vacation should include a wild goose chase for custard and cheeseburgers.

Hope you feel better soon.

TheTart said...

Love the pics! I want to snack on cheese curds. Get better!

Smooch,
The Tart
; )

Sara said...

That picture was taken in my favorite coffee shop in the whole wide world. Barrique's Coffee Trader on W. Washington near the Capitol. I wonder how I could ship cheese curds in the mail so they don't get all gnarly....

Sleep Goblin said...

So does that mean you didn't find the Jacob's house? I'm not sure I've seen that one either... Sounds like DS and I need to go on a trip.

Oscar Madison said...

Nice angle on the Unitarian Church -- brings out that Jetson's flavor that is too subtle in some Frank Lloyd Wright designs.

Unknown said...

Tonya: Well said, and thank you for the well wish!

Jocelyn: Thanks! and Thanks! Yum... cheese curds.

Sara: Guess who won? You did! This Friday's 55 is for you. :) I liked Barrique's, too. Nice people, free internet, delicious parfait and desserts. I'm hungry now.

Moral: *sigh* You are making it increasingly difficult for me to stay in CA.

Goblin: I didn't find it! :( Don't go without me. Well, I guess I can't stop you.

Oscar: Thanks. Little known fact: George and Jane (his wife) took that very issue up with Frank, and what a mistake that was. Frank had the furniture he designed for them removed from their apartment and wired Rosie to over-cook all of their meals.