Sunday, June 04, 2006

378. Yesterday seems like yesterday.

Monterey
Kelp on a Monterey Beach

I've been wanting to post random songs that I like. I thought about having a Saturday Shuffle post, or My Favorites this Hour post, but I'm not ready to commit to another blog obligation. I reserve the right to commit in the future.

Sometimes, although more rare than I'd like, the shuffle feature on my iPod gets it right. Saturday morning I went for my usual walk around the lake. Much to my amazement, I didn't have to skip one song. The songs were just right for my mood, and most importantly, in an interesting-weird mix.

Until We Sleep, David Gilmour
Since I've Been Loving You, Led Zeppelin
Rattlesnakes, Tori Amos
Your Song, Elton John
Wish You Were Here, Incubus
Shimmer, Throwing Muses
World on Fire, Sarah McLachlan
I Will Always, The Cranberries
White Riot, The Clash
Ave Maria (instrumental), Nigel Kennedy (violinist)
Freedom Theme, from the Braveheart Soundtrack, London Symphony Orchestra
Out of Control, Oingo Boingo
Hawkmoon 269, U2
Spring Haze, Tori Amos
I Wanna Be Adored, The Stone Roses

Monterey
Sand on same beach

As I was typing out the list from my iPod, I remembered where in the walk I was as I heard these songs. For example, during Freedom Theme, I looked out over the lake and awed at the geese flying in beautiful formation. When Your Song was playing I was on Grand Avenue singing along (I couldn't resist), and I walked past a homeless man who I now recognize. He was in his usual spot at 7:15am in the morning, sitting in the bus stop kiosk on the bench. We nodded and smiled at each other, and I wondered that if he heard me singing, did it reminded him of happier days? I hope so.

Lake Merritt
Lake Merritt, Oakland

After the walk, I met up with a fellow blogger. He's somebody I knew from high school. We met at DiBartolo's on Lake Shore, talked about life, relationships, and old friends. I really had a nice time. We then walked down to the Farmer's Market. I bought just enough fruit, and not enough vegetables. (Where was the happy broccoli? Only sad broccoli being sold!) We parted with a hug.

peck's
This little guy has nothing to do with this post, but he is so darn cute and in a Wisconsin petting zoo.

I walked back home--2 whole blocks away!--got into my car and drove down to a friend's art opening in Carmel. It was a perfect drive. I don't drive with my top down for long drives--the sun gets too intense for me-- but after the party I drove around Carmel with it down. Thanks to my friend's suggestion, I found the beach where the locals go.

Carmel

I fell asleep on the beach! I wear sun-block, but I neglected my poor feet. They are burnt! It was a nice nap.

Carmel
I love coastal trees. Cypress??

Carmel

I drove up to Monterey. I wanted a beer and to crack open my new book, Follies of the Wise by Frederick Crews (my review of his book talk will come soon). I found an English pub. I told the waitress about my desire to relax, drink, and read. I might take longer than a normal customer, I explained, that if she preferred not to have a long term tenant, I could find a café instead. She was very cool. The place wasn't busy, she said, so I could stay as long as I wanted. Beer, book, sun-burnt feet, jeans wet below the knees... clam chowder was on the menu, and I was as happy as that clam prior to his capture.

At one point, a patron requested they turn the station to the Mets ball game. I marveled how they could play in such rain! I guess they kept playing because it was close to the end and tied.

I managed to read more than chapter of my book. I noticed, too, that I didn't really stay that long. I left sooner than 2 other parties who were seated before me.

On the way back I stopped by another beach. The ocean was daring me to take a bad picture. It's so spunky, that ocean!

Monterey

Monterey

5 comments:

Mike said...

That's a damn nice day.

Unknown said...

MT: I think we were! You know, I've been telling everybody that you are my long lost sister.

Mike: Oh, it was okay. :)

Sleep Goblin said...

I need a new camera, something fierce... This post, as do most of your posts, reminded me of that. *sigh*

Oscar Madison said...

You've really got the travel-writer-with-photos thing totally wired.

Unknown said...

Goblin: I don't know what's gotten into my camera lately. I think it knows I want to replace it this summer with a fancy SLR, so it's been treating me real nice like.

OM: Thanks! All I need to do now is sync the posts with my actual travel. I so need a mac laptop.

----------
btoptri: A special bikini top designed to stay in place during rigorous triathalons.