Thursday, May 04, 2006

346. Mixed signals or bag or whatever.

Why is the thing I'm looking for in the last place I look?

After 30 plus years of empirical data collection, I've discovered the answer to this oft asked question.

The answer:

I put the thing in a stupid, nonsensical, illogical place. (Reason #2: here.)

Now, where did I but that thingamajig?

-----------
On a completely different note:

Today at the post office* a very nice man (with really thick glasses) told me I looked like Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg and then handed me his personal card. What does one do with other people's personal cards?

I know. I'll start a little collection. On the back of each card, I'll write the compliment given to me (if any) by that individual. The best compliment gets a gift basket during the winter holidays.

*Note to self: spend more time at the post office instead of reading economist's reports about them.

----------
Follow-up to previous post:

When I was going to school in the early '90s, I waited tables to support myself. (Unlike those who wait tables for fun.) One of the restaurants** threw an end-of-the-year party with an award ceremony. Much to my amusement, I won one for being The Last to Know.

"Did you hear so-and-so is sleeping with the manager?"
"Did you know that the head waitress is hooked on crack?"
"Did you know that so-and-so's son is dating a woman whose daughter is in jail?"

Instead of answering with a truthful, "Do I care, and why are you telling me this?," I answered the semi-truthful response, "No, I didn't. That's very interesting. Oh, hey, I think my customer wants some more tea. Excuse me."

And for that reason, my dear friends, I got an award.

** Will I ever spell restaurant correctly without the aid of spell check? I'm placing my bets on "no."

6 comments:

Willie Baronet said...

Wow, so many things to comment on in that post. But I will simply say that I also have to stop and think about how to spell restaurant every time I write it. And hey, did you know that Cheap Tart is hooked on crack and is sleeping with the manager??

TheTart said...

Be careful what U ask 4 U just might get it ... Rrramone is back with a wicked subplot! And it is so not true.

JR, I was the head hostess & I ONLY kissed one of the waiters in a darken hallway tween seating the public ... I was then caught by the manager, mid-waiter-smooch, who likely was on crack! And funny thing, I think that such waiter is now happily married & lives several streets over fm Rrramone!

BTW JR/CKS, my personal business card is on the way~with comnt, natch. What's gonna be in the up-4-grabs in the holiday basket? ; )

Smooch,
The Tart

Unknown said...

Willie: No, I didn't. That's very interesting. Oh, hey, I think my customer wants some more tea. Excuse me.

;)

Jocelyn: I wonder what Willie has to hide about himself by spreading such untruths about you! (Well, Willie?)

Gift basket will be apropos for the compliment received.

(I'm accepting virtual personal cards and compliments, too!)

Willie Baronet said...

Ok, I kissed the waiter too. Are you happy now? :-)

Unknown said...

Willie: Was it a sloppy kiss?

Unknown said...

And what is your avatar looking at?

What a smile!