Wednesday, April 05, 2006

311. The 3-1-1* about my debut performance!

It's amazing what can get accomplished on a shoestring budget, with a group of dedicated and talented individuals, and 3 years.

How would I rate the independent flick I was in?

Not too bad. Not too bad at all.

The venue wasn't the greatest. It's the place to go for $5 second run movies, beer, and pizza. What am I saying? It was the greatest! It's just that the theater's audio and visual equipment aren't first rate, which is why movies only cost $5 to see.

The script was hilarious, but I knew that when I read it. The beginning of the film, where my few scenes are, through to the middle had a good pace and was funny. The middle-end through the end-end needed a little more time in the editing room, but as the writer/director/editor said, "I spent over 200 hours watching this thing." Still, there was plenty of laughter from the audience, and not the polite chuckle either.

Some actors did better than others. At times it was painful to watch, but I think I might be a tad critical because I'm in it, and I wanted it to be the best movie ever. You don't think I expect too much, do you?

How did I do as an actress? I actually surprised myself. I didn't do as badly as I had imagined, and it was fun seeing myself on the big screen (after I told my neurotic self to go take a walk). People even laughed at my performance! --Wow!-- Since it was a romantic comedy, that is a good thing. Granted, I'm no Bette Midler or Meg Ryan, but I didn't do half bad. 3 out of 5 stars. 1.25 thumbs up.

Am I going to quit my day job? Uh, no. Not in my plans. But, now that I see that I didn't make a complete jackass out of myself for doing the daring, I have a little more confidence to take some classes. I enjoy doing things that I am good at, for the most part. Complete suckage, not so much. Moderate suckage is fine (and about where I rate as an actress), and if it is something enjoyable, I'll do it. Within reason, of course.

So there you have it. Thanks for reading! I'm off now.

Hungry. Food. Now.

----------
From Wikipedia:
In Canada and the United States, 3-1-1 is a special telephone number in many communities that provides a quick, easy to remember access to non-emergency municipal services.
3-1-1 is intended in part to divert routine inquiries and non-urgent community concerns from the emergency 9-1-1 number. A promotional website for 3-1-1 in Los Angeles described the distinction as follows: "Burning building? Call 9-1-1. Burning Question? Call 3-1-1."

Yes, yes, yes. I know. 4-1-1 would've been funnier and more appropriate, but I'm only at post #311. Close enough to almost work, I say.

5 comments:

Mike said...

If they need a male lead for your next flick, let me know. I play a mean messenger.

Unknown said...

It's a rare flick that has a messenger as a lead, but I'll keep you in mind.

Hold on. I don't make movies, I just act in them (them=one). You'll have to hit somebody else up for your dream role.

Unknown said...

It's like looking in one of those dreadful magnifying mirror. Only your pores are 6 feet wide.

Netflix? I dunno. I'll let you know if it ever does. I'll bring my DVD on my trip. We can play frisbee with it.

Oscar Madison said...

No, 311 is perfect!

Unknown said...

OM-- You think? Thanks!