Friday, December 30, 2005

220. End-of-the-Year-Wrap-Up

This is my favorite time of year, when I reflect on the soon-to-be last year's year of events (mine and the world's), make new goals, and feel really good about myself until January 5th-ish when I realize the New Year is just a new date, a new number to write on checks and forms.

On January 5th-ish I go back to feeling the regular good about myself--which is sometimes good, sometimes bad. In spite of how I feel (excited anticipation and optimism for a BIGGER and BETTER year) today this New Year's Eve's Eve, next year most likely won't bring me fame, fortune, or more happiness.

Great. I just depressed myself.

It's New Year's Eve's Eve! This is NOT a day to be down! I'll pencil that in for the 5th.

janelle-renée's 2005 looked something like this:

1. I started blogging! January 9th is the anniversary.

2. I'm still alive. (I'll have to bring this item over to my "Continue to Do in the New Year" list.)

3. I went to Italy and France for the first time.

4. I found a city where I would like to someday live. That would be Paris.

5. I finally found a car I am happy with.

6. I still have all of my fingers and all of my toes.

7. My cats are still fat.

8. I'm cold, temperature cold. Brrrr!

9. Is that it?

10. I'm sure there's more.

11. Filler lines look good though, because people probably won't read this far, and they'll be impressed with the long list!

12. Oh! I got in touch with the old me that was in touch with my inner gay man. Thanks to OM for pointing that one out!


2005 in General:

1. GWB is still president, and has yet to be impeached, even though he confessed to the Whole Entire World via TV to breaking The Law.

2. Natural disasters throughout the world (tsunami, earthquakes, floods, rioting) reminded me that I still have a heart that can break.

3. Ditto for unnatural disasters. Illegal war comes to mind.

4. People still don't know how to drive in the rain! I think there is a happy middle between Speeding and Grandma driving.

5. Arnold Schwarzenegger really, really, really, I mean REALLY, blew it by not pardoning Tookie. Even the Germans are mad. Good job, Arnie!

6. The House of Representatives blew it by not starting the impeachment process when item #1 on this list occurred. Can they even spell E-l-e-c-t-i-o-n--Y-e-a-r--2-0-0-6? Doubtful!

7. Gas prices drop with GWB's approval ratings. Coincidence?

8. Good things. Good things... Others around the world continue to live, be born, and die! Yeah! Life is continuing on Earth!

9. Movie stars and/or celebrities got divorced, moved, broke-up, got married, had babies, and stuff.

10. Broadcast news continues to suck. Hurray for Democracy Now, The Jon Stewart Show, NPR, and the Internet for still existing and doing what they do.

11. Ditto for all of my favorite bloggers out there. You know who you are! Yes, YOU!

Happy New Year, Folks!

5 comments:

Mike said...

It's me, isn't it?

Oscar Madison said...

Thanks. I now feel a satisfying sense of closure for 2005.

I had forgotten about your car. Nice car.

Unknown said...

Yes, Mike, all of my favorite bloggers is you!

OM-Thanks.

Tom Bozzo said...

Happy new year, Janelle, and I'll second Oscar -- it is a nice car. And now that I've foregone silver for metallic red, the best color there is :-)!

Unknown said...

Good choice, Tom. Good choice. (You couldn't see it, but I nodded as I typed that compliment.)