Saturday, September 01, 2007

724. ...one fell off and broke her head.

I lost a whole week, and I'm not too altogether sure how it happened. All this week I was certain that September 7th fell on the Friday following the next, even though I knew that yesterday was the last day of the month. Odd. Very Odd.

Perhaps it's a sign that I've been too busy, that I have too much on my mind.

Tonight I went to see my friends' son's band perform at a "Battle of the Bands" at the Oakland Metro Opera Theatre in Jack London Square. Aside from the forgettable head-banging band or two, my young friend's band The Audophiles and the band that followed, A Suspended Mind, made me feel like I grossly underpaid for admission into the venue. $8 admission and no-drink-minimum $4 beers? What a bargain! (The last comparable music bargain for me was seeing Rickie Lee Jones perform at the Art and Soul Festival in Oakland last year for just $5.)

Tonight's event was an "All Age" event, meaning that I was obliged to wear a lovely white and green striped, papery-plasticy wrist band to prove my drinking age status. Now, I don't know if it's because I'm the Oldest Sister or if it's just because I'm Plain Mean, but I thoroughly enjoyed a fantasy-induced urge to walk up to a group of random teenagers with my beer and tease them with a "I have a beer! I have a beer! Neener-neener-nee-nee-nee-er!!!"

After The Audiophiles performed they gathered with their friends near were my friend and I were standing. The lead singer was listening and seemed to be enjoying A Suspended Mind when his mother--a woman only a few years older than me--walked up to him and announced that it was time to go home. "Why?" he asked as he followed her out the door.

I'm not sure how to wrap up this post, but since I haven't written in a while, I'm going to end it in this clunky way.

Have a great weekend. I'm off to get a milkshake at a nearby late night diner.

Until next time!

No comments: