Monday, July 16, 2007

707. If I had a rock, I'd throw it, too.

I'm feeling a wee bit like this fellow this morning:

P7140032.jpg
Enceladus throwing rocks up at the gods as he dies.

It's 2 o'clock in the morning afternoon and my third cup of coffee isn't helping. I'm beat, and I feel like how I look: scary! Too many consecutive late nights turns this woman into something fearsome.

Thursday evening I saw The Contract, starring John Cusack and Morgan Freeman. I know what you're thinking: You haven't heard of it. I was surprised to discover that it won't be released in the U.S. It wasn't a horribly bad movie, I've seen worse, much worse. My roommate and I agreed: It wasn't bad.

It wasn't too good, either.

Saturday was Bastille Day. The French celebrate the symbolic start of the French Revolution much like we Americans celebrate Independence Day, with fireworks!

P7140058.jpg
I don't think this one will fly, either. At least this group utilized more modern inventions in their effort: they ditched the modern wheel, skipped the fire, and jumped right into the use of rockets.

Music accompanied the firework show, and a wonderful show it was. They played the classics, like The Theme from James Bond, The Star Wars Theme, and Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend was played on cue when the Eiffel Tower lit up.

P7140069.jpg
You stand straight at Tiffany's, but on the 14th of July after the fireworks, you stand slightly slumped strategizing an escape route.

P7140071.jpg
A scene from Close Encounters or the scene Saturday night after the firework show... Six to one, half dozen to another: both are thrilling and yet anxiety producing. That was very nice, but how (under my breath, "in the hell") am I going to get home?

Countless global citizens made their way to the Metro after the show to find that several stations were closed. I took a long walk from the Eiffel to the Lovre to find an open and less crowded station.

Alors*, last night I met a friend for a drink. We stayed out until it got cool enough to walk to the Metro, just past midnight. And, I can't remember for the life of me what happened Friday evening. I hope it was worth it.

P7140047.jpg
I took another trip out to Versailles on Saturday. Much to my delight, the weather was beautiful and hot. Finally, we are seeing summer weather in Paris! Even the statues seem happier.

Since I had to pay for this visit**, I felt obliged to check out more of the statues and fountains on the grounds. My roommate came with me on this trip and we brought a picnic lunch. We originally planned to dine near the Grand Canal, but changed our mind when we came upon Appollo and his horses.

P7140017.jpg
Appollo and his horses in the background, a picnic lunch in the fore.

We weren't sure if picnics are permissible on Versailles' grounds, but decided to risk it just the same. My roommate and I are very similar: we are charming rebels. We knew that if we "got caught" the consequences wouldn't be dire and we would most likely end up with another companion at our picnic spread.

P7140018.jpg
We shouldn't be here? Ooopsie! Nous sommes désolés. Vous aiment du fromage?***

Alas, we also discovered that we are trend-setters.
P7140021.jpg
When we arrived: no picnics. When we were ready to leave: two other contra picnics!

And then the addition of another:
P7140023.jpg

2 other picnics setting up across the way:
P7140022.jpg

And then the addition of yet another:
P7140024.jpg


After our picnic lunch I decided that it was high-time for an ice cream.

P7140040.jpg
C'est moi. I'm feeling wickedly satisfied after our successful act of rebellion, an unwitting recruitment of eager recruits, and delicious ice cream.

---------
* The French say "alors" as often as the Italians say "allora", which is quite often. In English, it literally means "then", but it seems to be used as a transition marker in conversations. I think "So, anyway..." and even "Alrighty then..." are a more accurate--in the usage sense--translations.

** I inadvertently entered for free on my last visit to Versailles through a side entrance. (Shhh... don't tell anyone.) The side entrances were locked on my second trip. I remembered that on the first visit, there was much activity for that evening's special event. The two large side entrances were open to allow (I realized on Saturday) equipment and catering companies to unload for the festivities. Because I didn't realize that there was an admission price for the gardens--I thought they charged only for the chateau's interior-- I assumed that the side entrances were always open to the public, and no sign indicated otherwise. I'm a rebel even when I'm clueless.

** Translation: We are sorry. Would you like some cheese?

7 comments:

K.Mize said...

You look so good! Europe suits you.

Anonymous said...

"They played the classics, like The Theme from James Bond, The Star Wars Theme..."
lol
(you were intending to be funny, right?)
:)

~Scot
P.S. I second Kate's comment too!

nina said...

Following on the comment of Kate, how ever will you adjust to being back? Or, are you already counting the days?

Unknown said...

Kate: Thank you!

Scot: Hm... interesting question. I'm not sure how to approach it. In the mean time, I'll just stand here and rub my chin until I come up with a witty response. It might take a while.
;)

Nina: I'm curious, too, what life is going to be like for the 2 months I'm home. I'm counting the days in both ways: 1) to see my friends and family, and 2) days left in France--I can't believe I'll be leaving so soon.

I'm back in Italy at the end of September. I'm looking forward to that as well.

Jeff Pollet said...

Wow. I like every single one of those movies you list as terrible, except for the Richard Gere one. Maybe I'd *love* The Contract!?

Willie Baronet said...

Ah, you disgust me with your dreamy life. :-) Was in SF a couple of weeks ago, and saw the cafe where we met!

Just saw Sicko tonight and am now seriously considering moving to France. I may need some guidance from you. I'm half serious. ;-)

Unknown said...

Jeff: That's just crazy.

Rrramone: Ah... home, sweet home.

I disgust me, too, and am happy to give you guidance. Drop me an email!