English books all around, free wi-fi, upcoming lectures and talks in English... be still my beating heart.

My happy laptop in the American Library in Paris.

Yippee!!!!!!!
Yesterday, I spent a good deal of time at new Bibliothèque nationale de France. Simply put: It is magnificent. This site is what modern architecture aspires to be, but rarely realizes. I have never used the words "exquisite" or "beautiful" to describe modern architecture. This project sets the bench mark for design, sophistication, and elegance for our time. Up until yesterday, I disliked modern architecture. Cold, pretentious, too calculated, and at odds with humanity and nature. The Bibliothèque nationale de France is everything that my contemporaries love about modern design (clean, simple lines, smart/new uses of common materials) and yet it somehow found a way to embrace nature--it literally does with a lush fern and tree garden at its core--and be a warm, accommodating hosts to its human guests. The halls are grand with plenty of seating, there is at least one café, outdoor tables and chairs--this place is at no loss for meeting places.
Here are some pictures. (Sorry that they aren't that great!)




.......
It is confirmed: I am a brave woman. Any guesses as to why I make this proclamation?
Here is a clue:

.........
Love is all around in Paris!


.............
Oh, my! It's nearly 6:45pm. I gotta find that hiding spot. Keep your eye on the news tonight, because I just might be on it if I get caught! "American woman arrested in the American Library in Paris for camping out during off-hours" Hm... isn't quite the headline I wanted for my 15 minutes, but I'll take it.
6 comments:
"It is confirmed: I am a brave woman. Any guesses as to why I make this proclamation?"
Umm....Were you at the salon?
~Scot
P.S. My apologies for lack of comments lately. There are times when I want to comment but I just don't know what to say! :)
Did you dye your hair? Also, I want more pictures of that library!
Did you check the shelves for Atlas Shrugged?
I think you went blonde. After all, we do have more fun. ;)
Because there's a giant head staring at you in your kitchen/bathroom/strangePlace?
Everybody: I did go to the salon! I wrote a post about it... it's #678.
Scot: No need to apologize! You are too sweet.
SG: OK! I agree... I need to take more (and better) pictures of the library.
Neel: I did, and they do have it, but since I'm not a member, I can't check it out. :(
Lisa: So true! (I was a blonde for a good chunk of my life--the more fun part of my life.) I added blonde highlights!
Mike: Strange place? You crack me up.
Post a Comment