Wednesday, February 21, 2007

636. I know I am, but what are you?

A couple of Sundays ago I attended a friend's baby shower. I know her because she works next door to my design studio. We've hung out a few times and went to art gallery openings together. In fact, as I'm typing this, I'm remembering that my studio even had an art opening for her and displayed her beautiful oil paintings in our gallery a few years ago.

I love baby showers for many reasons: 1) I can "ooooo!" and "ahhhhh!" to my heart's sentimental content without fear of being seen and ridiculed for being the gushy girl I am, (2) the ice cream, (3) I love being around others who are equally or more gushy than me, (4) the silly baby shower games are fun, (5) the ice cream, (6) I enjoy meeting new people, (7) I love dressing up for parties, (8) ice cream, (9) it's an honor to be invited to a celebration of a new life!

As much as I love baby showers, I felt a little nervous about going to this one. Other than the two mutual friends my pregnant buddy and I share, I wouldn't know another soul at her shower. That in itself is fine, but I am not good at remembering names when I'm introduced to 3 or more new people, and remembering people's names is important to me. I know how much I like it when somebody remembers my name, and I like to think that by the relatively simple act of remembering a new person's name, I can pass along that warm fuzzy feeling.

As I was getting into my car to head over to the shower, I had a wild fantasy that name tags would be dispersed at the event.

Guess what? My fantasy came true. Partially.

I arrived to my friend's mother's home with gifts in tow. After hugs were exchanged and introductions made, I was directed to the name tag basket. I was told to pick out a name tag and three diaper pins and given the instruction that if somebody called me anything other than the name on my tag, I could claim one of their baby pins. Of course it followed that if I called a person by a name not written on their tag, I would have to relinquish mine. The woman with the most diaper pins at the end of the party would win a prize.

I rummaged through the names. Silverspoon, Onesies, Pacifier, Teddy Bear, and Play Pin are all very fine names--obviously names denoting proud lineages, breeding, and good genes--but the name for me was the one that made me laugh.

Please allow me to properly introduce myself:

burp.jpg

That's right! I'm Burping.

However, there is no need to worry, for I didn't have garlic for lunch.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Coincidentally, I also went to a baby shower recently where I knew about 2.5 people, but we didn't get to play such a neat game!

And I also love the ice cream. (or in this case, it was the tiramisu. )

Unknown said...

Did you play the "guess the diameter of the pregnant lady's belly" game?

We did, and I won!

I knew there was a reason why I felt a special kinship with you, Sara. (Well, besides the fact that you brought frozen custard to our blogger dinner!) We're both frozen dessert lovers!

Long live frozen dessert lovers.

Unknown said...

It was a really nice day, MT.

P.S. 27 days and counting! :)