Friday, December 22, 2006

594. Music and Light on the Darkest Day.

chapel of the chimes

The Chapel of the Chimes is one of the most breathtaking piece of historical architecture (remember, for California anything built before 1945 is "old") in Oakland. Designed by celebrity local architect Julia Morgan (b.1872,d.1957), it is where anybody would love to be when they pass from this life. That is, if one choses to be cremated. It's former name, from 1909 to 1926, was California Crematorium. It was much smaller then, and in 1926 Julia Morgan was hired to add and expand it with her heavenly touch.

chapel of the chimes

Several architects have added their touches, too, since Julia Morgan. It's hard to tell where Julia ends and the other architects begin. All did a fabulous job.

chapel of the chimes

I leave you with more images I took last night at the Chapel of the Chimes. Every winter solstice a concert is held at the chapel. This year it was called, “From the Darkness…Solace” a Winter Solstice Concert. Various artist performed their contemporary and out-of-the-ordinary compositions and/or improvisations in the chapel's scores of little rooms. The chapel was dark, lit mainly with candles, and so these are long exposure images. I didn't want to use the camera's flash feature, as I didn't want to destroy the cozy winter night ambiance.

Enjoy:

chapel of the chimes

chapel of the chimes
Stephen Kent, his didgeridoo, and a content enjoyer of beautiful music.

chapel of the chimes

chapel of the chimes
See the Apple laptop? This man switched off between several different string instruments (violin, guitar, other stringed wooden things) and although the instruments appeared acoustic, the sound coming from them sounded like--well, like, I told my friend--many laughing and/or arguing whales. It was a haunting sound, especially in a crematorium and at night.


chapel of the chimes
Pretty.

chapel of the chimes
A vocalist with no other accompaniment. Her voice was surreal and angelic and mesmerizing.


chapel of the chimes
A baby Jesus scene. Now, that kid was loved.

Happy Holidays! I'm off to a hot springs place with some friends. Xmas Eve I'll be hangin' with the fam. Xmas with my hand picked family.

Oh boy! The time! I gotta go.

Kisses and hugs,
jr

................
Back again. I wanted to tell you something funny one of my friends said when he looked up at this wall of memorative niches:
"Hollywood Squares!"

Tsk!

chapel of the chimes

Top floor of the crematorium (no performances up here, thus I felt o.k. to use flash photography) The crematorium is three stories tall in many sections. You can see part of one of the dozens the chapel's skylights in this image. No electric light is needed during the day, and it's plenty of light for the myriad of plant/tree species who call this place home.

Like I said, the Chapel of the Chimes is breathtaking.

(Tours every 3rd Saturday. Go here for more info about the chapel.)

chapel of the chimes
A really, really, really old bible.

No comments: