Tuesday, October 24, 2006

538. True and Truf Love.

Louisville, Kentucky: Part 1

I had a fabulous time at the wedding in Louisville. I met some very cool Madison people, and I hope our paths cross again.

I also fell in love. It started out slowly on Sunday night at a bookstore. (Where else?) It avalanched into crescendo heights on this Ohio River facing swing in Carrie Gaulbert Cox Park:

DSCN1793.JPG


The bookstore on Frankfort Street was still open, much to my surprise, at 7 o'clock in the evening. Come to find out from the very warm and helpful woman behind the counter, Carmichael's is open until 9 o'clock every evening. (It is also Louisville's oldest independent bookstore.)

Further lucky me was happy to see a book reading event, featuring 3 local writers, taking place in the children's section of the store. I stayed for Leslie Smith Townsend's reading of a short piece she had written for the New Southerner magazine, and I continued browsing the local literature section.

The feeling started out as comfort. Perhaps it was triggered by the quaintness, the books, the lively intelligent people, or the drawls... but then the feeling took a curious turn to that of belonging. (Curious being that I was a strange stranger with a bland accent and urban wear.)

I purchased the New Southerner magazine and a book clearly written by men also in love (it's well written and an extremely interesting read), Louisville Guide (by Gregory A. Luhan, Dennis Domer, David Mohney), and I walked down a few doors to Heine (stop snickering!) Brothers' cafe for a cappuccino and a flourless chocolate truffle thing of yum.

truf love .jpg
Truf Love

To be continued...

2 comments:

Sleep Goblin said...

No way!! That book was written by my teachers from grad school, which we were then required to purchase....

Anyway, Dr. Domer is the COOLEST teacher ever!!!

We have the same book!

Unknown said...

Dean: Hey! I said, no snickering. :)

Life is interfering with my blogging (silly, but wonderful life!), but thank you for noticing when I'm away.

SG: Too funny! Do you like the book as much as I do? It's so well written and informative. I find that books of this kind are often dry. Not this one! How's Jamaica?