I know! I'll start with a picture:
People on dry shore and my pick for Bad Design of the Week at the
otherwise thoroughly enjoyable Art and Soul Festival.
otherwise thoroughly enjoyable Art and Soul Festival.
"I need my camera," were the first words out of my mouth (after a few seconds of stunned silence) when I stumbled upon the above scene. My companion was kind enough to humor me, and as we trekked several blocks back to my car to retrieve the camera I explained to him that, in my professional opinion, bad taste is always bad design. Blow-up bad taste of colossal proportions takes the cake and makes a most excellent candidate for my little blog feature.

I wonder if the children are struck by the irony of the
posted safety rules? I agree with you: doubtful.
From the website of a vendor (one of many!) of the inflatable shameless slide's website:
"The ship is sinking! Can you survive the slide down? This dual slide captures all the excitement of the famed ocean liner on its maiden voyage."
Yes, I'm sure the 1,523 victims of the Titanic tragedy would call their last voyage "exciting."
Congratulations, Titanic Adventure Slide™, for being this week's Bad Design of the Week.
..............


19 comments:
Oh. My. Dog.
There is a certain metaphor-for-the-times thing going on here, seeing as the Worst Preznit Ever could be taken as playing CEO of the White Star Line, saying 'Who'da known we'd need lifeboats for the second- and third-class passengers.'
So true. So true.
Katrina comes to mind as one poignant example.
It makes me wonder if the people involved in its production and deployment think of the Titanic less as this horrible tragedy and more as "that movie with Leo and Kate". Horrible. Maybe you should suggest a New Orleans themed raft ride for the next year?
pwdmk=make me a password!
I believe the Titanic itself had some noteworthy design flaws.
Sara: Very near to the slide was a rock climbing tower. It didn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to be reminded of another recent tragedy. I didn't want to go there in my post.
I also saw "powdered milk" in your WV!
OM: I agree. It had a few. The chandeliers were a bit overdone.
OMG, Hi! Hopefully I can comment under anonymouse -That slide looks atrocious. Please, someone put it out of it's misery.
- Kevin!
Ugh, I spelled anonymous wrong like a dummy. Please excuse my terrible typing skillz.
- Kevin
Hi, Kevin! Glad to see you can comment now, and thanks for putting your name on your comment.
I thought you were just being cute writing "anonymouse."
Mice are cute.
Hey, Janelle!!! I got routed here from User Friendly, and not via Oscar's CM blog for a change. I didn't realize it was you until I saw all the familiar names on the comments :)
I wonder if this company also markets a "Hindenburg" bungee-jumping ride, or perhaps an Amelia Earhart "hide and seek" type game.
I guess we're still 100 years or so away from being able to make light of the Titanic? I mean, I think my "Black Death" tour t-shirt is pretty funny.
IIRC, a Futurama episode used Titanic to pretty good comic effect. Of course, it wansn't implying that going down an inflatable slide was capturing some of the excitement of being cast into the North Atlantic to die of hypothermia.
There's such a fine line between clever and stupid, as always.
(That "Tom" was me, BTW, showing up for some betazoid reason under a different profile.)
Well, Tom, the DiCaprio film also used the Titanic for comic effect, but I don't think it was intentional. (and you may hit me with a cold dead fish for not remembering the Futurama episode)
No hitting people with cold dead fish on my blog! I just cleaned the place.
Hi Voxwoman! Nice to see you on my blog. Whose blog is User Friendly? I'm drawing a complete blank.
Your game ideas are funny. I thought of a funhouse, Hindenburg House of Fire. But, I don't know if I would like to stumble upon it in person. Well, I guess it would depend on the context and presentation. I think the slide people missed the boat.
Tom: That darn beta! It's time for another installment of my "Things I hate about beta blogger" blog post.
I missed that episode, too. Is it on DVD? Futurama is great. They and the Onion are brilliant dark humor masters.
50 years from now my grandchildren will be sliding down a World Trade Center slide and they'll be loving every bit of it..yet they won't know jackshit about the actual events. -Glares.-
- Kevin
DS: Yes, the slide itself does look like fun. It would be more fun as a water slide. As a Titanic water slide...Oh, boy, that would be more tasteless; Don't you think?
The blue thing is supposed to be a wave. (I think.) Do you date Smurfs? I've never seen a blue bottom before.
I'm compiling a new list of beta annoyances. I'll add your complaint to it.
Kevin: That was another thing I didn't like about the slide, only you said it more succinct than my attempts.
.........
My WV word is oddly appropriate to this post:
trgdej, Trag[edy] DJ: The person who mixes carnival music appropriate to tragedy-themed rides and attractions.
I do that..
Also Janelle that episode of Futurama is on DVD. It's on the second season of the show, first episode. It's called "A Flight to Remember."
Thanks, Kevin! I'll check it out.
Hi people!Well...Titanic is my second favourite movie...generally I love anything related...but this is just appaling...Please,someone sink it already!
WTF with the "First Class Passengers ONLY!" sign???That could be taken offensively to some people...
I LIKE TURTLES!!!!!
Post a Comment