Saturday, July 15, 2006

423. Of the world?

Does this image make you feel like you're King of the World? :

DSCN0025.JPG
On my 2nd sailing trip ever, I snapped this shot
to see what all the fuss was about.


Me neither.

As much as I love and as many times as I've seen Titanic, I never understood why Jack Dawson felt compelled to soulfully yell, "I'm King of the World!" as he stood at the bow of the soon-to-be-doomed ship.

king.jpg
I say out with King George and in with King Leo!


The reason why I don't get it, and maybe I'm wrong, is because the sentiment seemed out-of-character. Jack Dawson fit the very attractive King of His Own World bill (and obviously he felt this fully when he was standing at the bow of the ship after winning a ticket in a lucky card game and clearly he is ecstatic to be going back home), but he wasn't the type of person who--even if he was an excited King--would shout it out across the big beautiful ocean.

I often wonder if the line wasn't originally written instead for Cal Hockley? Hm... no. That wouldn't have felt right either. The line would have been unnecesary, because the dude knew he was King of the World.

So, I'm left with this question: Why was Jack Dawson given this stupid line? (I'm limiting my speculations to the confines of the script; I've heard the theories related to James Cameron and his ego, but that just takes the fun out of playful speculation. Don't you agree? Besides, rumors bore me.)

Perhaps the bold bordering-on-arrogant line added the perfect touch of tension? We all know how much post-modern critics love tension.

Or maybe the answer is simply: Jack's I'm-King-of-the-World line was the good enough line when all others fell flat:

"I'm enjoying this beautiful view!"

"Is that Australia? It is!"

"Boy, am I chilly!"

"I wonder if I'll see that hot red head again?"

"What to wear for dinner?"

"I have a vague, but ominous, feeling of impending doom!"

"Did I forget to turn off the iron?"



Oh, I give up! Maybe it's just a guy thing.


-----
Pst! Did you know that if you hover your cursor over my blog images you can read more of my musings and/or mumblings? Isn't that crazy?

8 comments:

Neel Mehta said...

"Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude!"

You know, while "I'm king of the world!" got a little tiresome, particularly when James Cameron used it to accept an Oscar, the line made sense in that context. Here was a nobody who earned his way into passage onto the best ship ever made, and he had every right to be standing there.

"I wonder if I'll see that hot red head again?"

Perhaps a more appropriate line. Kate was so fine.

Also, I never noticed your photos have subtext. How do you do that? Can it be done with links as well?

Unknown said...

Here was a nobody who earned his way into passage onto the best ship ever made, and he had every right to be standing there.

I completely agree!

"I am king of the world" lacks the humility and gratitude (the words and delivery were in conflict) felt by "nobodies" who achieve something, be it through determination or chance.

That is what bothered and made the statement feel false to me.

Regarding the photo pop-up text, in the code (at least in mine) I replace the "photo sharing" text with my own.

I just checked your blog, and yours doesn't have text. I think this is what you would write in between the same carrots and after the photo insertion code:

title="Neel's witty text."

Disclaimer: I am NOT a code person, so if I'm wrong please correct me. (Hint to you code savvy people out there!)

Mike said...

jr, I think that line works perfectly in that movie. It's a cheesy overblown line for a cheesy overblown movie. I can almost taste the cheese curds just thinking about it.

Unknown said...

Mike: But, do you feel the squeak?

Mike said...

No. Squeak-free.

Unknown said...

No squeak?!

That's it! I'm sending in the flying monkeys!

Willie Baronet said...

It really depends on the size of the ship. You can't expect that feeling from a piddly old sail boat.

Unknown said...

Rrramone: Hm. I'll have to think about that one.

.......

.......

.......

Maybe you're right.