This week's Bad Design of the Week is so cute, I feel guilty honoring it with this esteemed award:
It's a bookmark, and it came in a package of four for $4.95.
I'm not sure how the creators of this cute product can sell it in good conscience. Why sell a defective design in a package of 4? Perhaps it's the old quantity vs. quality logic: give the buyer many so that the feeling of getting-a-good-deal offsets the feeling of being ripped-off.
Fortunately, at the bookstore I had a difficult time deciding whether ladybugs or duckies were more cute. I have a spotted past with duckies, and I wanted to test my luck again.
Hooray! The ducky bookmark works really well, and now a positive experience replaces a not so happy one.
---------
In case you missed the post title or if the photo and caption weren't clear, use of the Bad(ly) Design(ed) ladybug bookmar results in torn book pages.
In case you missed the post title or if the photo and caption weren't clear, use of the Bad(ly) Design(ed) ladybug bookmar results in torn book pages.




7 comments:
Nice pictures. But why is the ladybug bookmark a bad design? Does it not stay in place, or conversely, does it pinch the paper once removed? Does the round shape stick out too much from the book?
Inquiring minds want to know. I want to know!
So many questions! Augh!
*runs off*
*crickets*
Thanks for the addendum. Now I see that "ripped off" has a double meaning.
I bought one of those bookmarks. It was a different animal shape. I found it useless because it poked out too far from the book and would get knocked off all the time. I was afraid that I'd likely lose it somewhere -- so I just stopped using it.
Overall, I find the bookmark industry to be completely corrupt and unreliable. Thank you to Janelle for her expose.
Neel: That one was unintentional! Oops. I guess I shouldn't admit that.
Tonya: I need my own show. The Janelle Renee Expose Show. I think the title might need some work. Unintentional double meanings can get a person into trouble.
Unintentional double meanings can get a person into trouble.
--or better ratings....
Jeff: Good point!
Post a Comment