The winner of this weeks "Bad Design of the Week" award goes to:
Global Warming
What the heck, I'm feeling generous. I award Global Warming "Bad Design of the Century" award.
Congratulations, Global Warming. Please collect your prize and scram.
Guess which movie I just came back from seeing? If you guessed An Inconvenient Truth, you are one smart cookie, the best kind of cookie... a chocolate chip gluten-free cookie.
Would it surprise you to know that I am not entirely above uttering the occasional curse word? Tonight, for instance, during the movie I said:
Holy shit.
I was wrong, though. There's nothing Holy about the Shit that's about to hit our global fan.
Go see An Inconvenient Truth, and let's talk. I want to expand my business to do something to help avert the impending crises certain to hit our world. How? I don't know...yet.
Crises will happen as a result of Global Warming. They will affect you. They will affect me. They are as certain as the timely predicted breech of New Orleans's levee system*.
A subtle revelation dawned on me during the movie: Gore, um, lost the presidency in 2000 not because the hypothetical, but nonetheless very real, they wanted Bush in office so badly, but because they saw Gore as a threat to the oil and domestic car businesses. (Did I just hear a collective "duh"?)
-----------
* An excerpt from an October 2004 National Geographic article sited in its entirety in the linked post, just as a little reminder: "The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist attack on New York City."
-----------
Tonight, after I get back from sailing (yay!), another Bad Design of the Week will be awarded to an actual product, not a byproduct.
2 comments:
Haven't seen it yet, but I will soon!
Moral: There was a lot of believable scientific evidence in the movie. For example, the pictures of now anemic glaciers, the North and South Pole, Greenland... Hard to dispute with photographic evidence.
It didn't feel like propaganda to me. I felt worried about the future of our planet, yet inspired to do something about it. I have a few ideas knocking around in my noggin.
Rrramone: Yay!
Post a Comment