Mike complained that my last 55 contest was biased towards the people of Wisconsin. What can I say? I am biased towards the people of Wisconsin. I love my home state, too. If you're the first blogger to name the spot where I took the photo below, I'll write my 55 in honor of you--you need to have a blog so that I know at least a little about you! (Brownie points if you can name any of the landmarks shown. Also, if anybody states the obvious, that I took this picture in San Francisco, I'll just scream. And maybe giggle.)
-------
What does a Saturday of a hot youngish designer look like? I don't know, but here is what my day looked like:
Did you know that I had an IM phobia? It's true. I did. Moral and Goblin helped me get over it, and today I chatted more with Moral while I was... working. Yeah, I was working.
I dashed over to the city for an Alessi product presentation and talk at the trendy Zinc Details in the Fillmore (district of San Francisco). What fun! Italy based Alessi has the coolest products. Many of which are affordable. J'aime Mr. Suicide who is a bathtub plug and only $23. (I wonder how much he was worth before he took the plunge?) My birthday is coming up... Oops, did I just drop a hint? For shame!

Mr. Suicide
Their kettle, by Michael Graves, has been their top selling design since its introduction in 1981 (or so said today's presenter, but the website says 1985--no matter, still impressive). Can you believe they've sold over 2 million of these babies? At $250 (*see correction below) a pop or whistle, I'm impressed.

Kettle, by Michael Graves
This last product was odd, but in a good humorous way. It is a fly-swatter. It's free standing, and has a face on the swatty part. Who wouldn't want to die at the hand of a designer swatter? (Don't answer that.)

Dr. Skud Fly-Swatter
I left the store feeling inspired and energized. What to do? I headed for one of my favorite places in San Francisco: a drive through Presidio to Palace of the Legion of Honor.
I even managed to get a Cable Car into the shot. I did it just for you, my blog readers.
Do you see the bride? (White blob, just left of center. Click photo for larger view.) She is one of the two I saw today at the Palace of the Legion of Honor. It's a popular place for wedding photographs, and yes, even weddings.
I stumbled upon a memorial I've never seen before, too, at the Palace of the Legion of Honor. It is a Holocaust Memorial. I'm not too surprised I've never seen it before. It is off to the west side of the parking lot. If you don't notice the sign for the memorial, you wouldn't know it was there. Today, I saw the sign for the exhibit. I crossed the parking lot and up to the description signs mounted on a concrete wall. On the other side of the wall, was the memorial. It is at a lower elevation and accessible by stairs to the left or a meandering path to the right. (This photo was taken at the lower level and the wall behind the cast bodies is the wall I described.)

The memorial was moving from above, but when I stood before it I realized that viewed from the upper spot it was a removed moving experience. Much like sympathy. Standing before the memorial I became part of it. Much like empathy.
That's all I've got to say about that, for now.
I found my way back to my car. It was a beautiful foggy San Francisco day. An idyllic San Francisco day, I thought as I headed back into the Presidio area. I made a wrong turn (I love wrong turns!) and look what I stumbled upon:

75 cents for a large lemonade. Smiles: free. What a deal!
-------
As I was typing and reflecting the Legion of Honor scene, weddings and death, I got an e-mail from a San Francisco friend I've lost touch with. It was an announcement of the birth of their first child! What a nice ending for this little post.
(*) Oops... The top selling kettle is only $125 or so. I have my eye on their electric one, the $250 one. Leave it to me to eye the more expensive one. Tsk. My pocket book is safe, however. I already have an electric one. When it dies, though, guess what's replacing it. Maybe. $250! JEEZ!



10 comments:
Wow, that top photo is gorgeous! Make me want to come & die in San Francisco, ha.
Smooch,
The Tart
BTW, I will now go back & read the entire post!
Well, that's clearly the Palace of Fine Arts, with Alcatraz in the background. As for where you took the picture, the plethora of trees would indicate the Presidio. Are you looking for something more specific than that?
Jocelyn: :)
Mike: Yes, ideally I would like a more specific location. Think you can do it? Good job naming the landmarks!
Moral: September 9th. That's coming up, right? Well, not as soon as yours. :)
Oooh, three days before mine!
(Hear that everyone? THREE DAYS BEFORE MINE.)
I recognized Alcatraz, but only because I recently saw it in x-men 3. Before that, I would have only recognized it from a myth busters episode, but it's unlikely I would have remembered it without the bridge in the picture.
I don't know where that second picture was taken, but that's not the De Young museum in the museum shot with the "cable car". That's the Palace of the Legion of Honor. I wouldn't think you'd have a view of the Palace of Fine Arts from there, but perhaps you do...
I'm with Chuck B. The Legion of Honor was my best guess. It looks like it's from near Lands End.
Sleep Goblin, I think we'll need to throw a big birthday bash for the both of us.
Chuck: OMG. I totally knew that. Thanks for the correction!
Mike: Looks like we were typing our comments at the same time.
Your first answer was more correct, Mike. It was taken from inside the Presidio. At a certain "Point."
A simple search of point and Presidio tells the answer. I think you should give it to Mike anyway.
Based on my one trip to SF, I could tell it was the Presidio, but I would've guessed it was some George Lucas building.
Neel: I thought I left a comment here before... hmmm. I'm sure I said, You're gracious and noble.
I am going to award this one to Mike.
Post a Comment