Tuesday, March 21, 2006

284. One of those things.

Philip Seymour Hoffman has my business card. I don't know what he is doing with it, since he never called me, but he has it.

A couple of years ago a friend drug me to Martuni's Lounge, a locally famous piano bar in San Francisco. D is the poster child of ham. At piano bars, I'm the poster child of "What the hell am I doing here?"

D bought me 2 drinks. I'm a light-weight and should've refused. D convinces that I would miss out on the best experience next to sex if I don't go up and sing a song. Before I know it, I find myself standing next to the piano man singing "Your Love Keeps Liftin' Me Higher." I don't even particularly like that song.

When the last note was finally struck, I dashed back to my seat, and worried about D's sex life. And that's when I saw him for the first time. He was with a woman who glowed "warmth", if not beauty. I looked back to Philip and couldn't stop wondering how I knew him. He sweetly gave me some pointers. I had a nice voice, he said, but I should have the mic closer to my mouth. Try to relax. Etc. (I was too shaken up from the singing experience to ask him who he was and what he did. Darn.)

I normally don't like people who give advice, because most people don't know how to do it with tact. But Philip was very kind, humble, and... loving. I was touched. He asked me what I did, I told him about my biz, and handed him a card.

That night, at home in bed sleeping, I realized who the friendly, sweet, cute man was. I woke with a start, and decided it was probably better for both of us that I didn't recognize him. I bet he enjoyed talking to a person as a regular guy rather than as "that famous actor."

7 comments:

Sleep Goblin said...

Is this for real?? I can never tell....

Mike said...

If he calls, tell him to have Catherine Keener call me. She left her socks here.

Unknown said...

Goblin-- Yes! Well, I'm 98% sure it was him.

Mike-- I called her. She said to keep them, that she got a little grossed out when you were playing puppets with them. But, she was impressed that you could entertain yourself for 3 hours straight.

Mike said...

Touché

TheTart said...

Well, this is more to this story that certain parties are will'in to tell, so I MUST, natch!

I heard it fm a good SOURCE, my eye lash curler rep, that for the movie Capote... Phil each night would ponder the tenor of JR's redition of her ballad... this, I'm told, really put him in character! He forgot to thank her in his Oscar speech... but hey he forgot his girlfriend too, natch!

Bout those puppets, well Kate was channeling something in her role in Capote too....NOW we know why she always had that funny look on HER face. (This is also from a good SOURCE... ya know THEY say, she has a thing for cuppas!)

Oh, HAY, wadda I know... am just a Cheap Tart!

SMooch,
The Tart

JR.. come by and see the Tart Tools... you will approve of YSL's #10, I bet ; )

Oscar Madison said...

The guy who is playing me in my biopic has your business card???

Maybe when he was giving you singing pointers he was method acting his role as the rock music critic in Almost Famous.

Unknown said...

Tart-- I do approve of YSL #10! Smooch back at ya.

OM-- Pretty crazy, eh? Could you do me a favor? When you see him to discuss his role in your flick, please tell him to call me. I've updated the look of my biz card, and I'm more grown-up. I would love to be his muse for his performance in your film. (And he better remember to thank me when he wins Best Actor for that role.)